CEO, PRESIDENT, SECRETARY & DIRECTOR
Scott Tannas is a leader with strong business acumen and well-developed strategic planning skills. Having achieved great success in founding and growing a business, he is driven to use this experience to work with other great business owners, and helping these businesses grow. In addition to being the CEO at Western, Scott sits on the Board of Directors for each of our associate companies, and is active in assisting and advising the management teams.
Scott founded Western Financial Group Inc. in 1996 and served as CEO until 2014. Wishing to continue to be involved in Western Canadian business, he started The Western Investment Company of Canada in 2016.
From its headquarters in High River, Alberta, Mr. Tannas oversaw the building of Western Financial Group through more than 100 acquisitions, and a number of strategic initiatives. Today, Western Financial Group is a diversified financial services organization with more than $1.7 billion in annual sales. Over two thousand employees provide nearly one million customers with insurance and investment products and services. The company’s network of more than 200 offices stretches across Canada from coast to coast. On July 1, 2017 Western Financial Group was acquired in a $775 million transaction.
- Founded Western Financial Group as a Junior Capital Pool in 1996.
- During his tenure, grew Western Financial Group’s stock price by 1,038%.
- Elected as a “Senator in Waiting” by Albertans in 2012.
- Appointed by Prime Minister Harper to the Senate of Canada in 2013; continues to serve to the present day.
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the year in 2003.
- M.I.T. “Birthing of Giants” Executive Program Graduate (1999 – 2001).
- Contributor – Verne Harnish’s internationally bestselling business book “Scaling Up”.
- CEO and Director of Western Financial Group Inc. (1996 – 2014).
- Director of Western Financial Group Inc. and its subsidiaries (1996 – 2017).
- Lead Director of Rocky Mountain Dealerships Inc. (RME:TSX) (2013 – 2019).