Our goal is to create long-term wealth for our shareholders by building and maintaining a diversified portfolio of successful Western Canadian companies and helping them grow to their full potential.
Our strategy is to acquire significant ownership positions in these businesses by:
- Offering “Continuity Capital”.
- Providing entrepreneurial friendly oversight using “Pattison Principles” and “Rockefeller Habits”.
- Maximizing return to shareholders through a “Western Sensibility” philosophy.
Our experienced management team and distinguished Board of Directors have an established history of building leading companies in Western Canada, and their collective experiences align with Western’s targeted industry verticals. In addition to our diversified skill set in operations, finance and sales, we bring differentiated value to our partners in the following ways:
For Business Owners
- We can provide access to capital, business development tools, strategic contacts, customer referrals and deep expertise in our chosen industry sectors.
- Our oversight is entrepreneur friendly and we encourage both current owners and their management teams to continue managing the business.
- Our experienced team can provide mentorship when and where it’s needed in a collaborative environment; we have a diversified team with skills in operations, finance and sales.
- Being a public company allows business owners to access a tax deferred rollover, if they choose.
- We want to own our businesses for a long time; there is no requirement to exit the relationship in five to seven years, compared to traditional private equity firms.
- We provide you with a portfolio of diversified, sustainable, Western Canadian companies.
- Your investment is supported by a seasoned management team and Board of Directors who have successfully built and managed companies during their careers.
- Shareholder friendly operating model through a “Western Sensibility” philosophy.
- Fund succession and/or growth for an already successful business.
- Founder share ownership with unique put/call structure and earnouts.
- Buy-in program for existing management.
- Entrepreneur friendly, respectful negotiations.
- Board of Directors’ seat/voting fairness for owner.
PATTISON PRINCIPLES & ROCKEFELLER HABITS
Once we’ve partnered with a company, our management team adheres to the following habits and principles to protect the investment and ensure it grows:
- Quarterly rhythms/meetings.
- Industry analysis to support decisions of portfolio companies.
- Critical number generation/monitoring (KPIs).
- One year planning with a ten-year BHAG (“Big Hairy Audacious Goal”).
- Continuing mentoring and education for executives of portfolio companies.
- Business focus – long-term vision.
WESTERN SENSIBILITY PHILOSOPHY
We employ a Western Sensibility philosophy, which is a shareholder friendly operating model that ensures expenses for the company are in line with revenue generated. It also entails:
- A sustainable but flexible workforce of part-time employees and contractors that expands and contracts on the needs of the company.
- Directors are compensated through a modest option program.
- That management fees from our portfolio companies will be used to offset increased G&A over time.
After five decades of building Foothills, I’m glad I found partners for the future. Western’s local roots and reputation were important considerations.
Don Bayrack – Founder, Foothills Creamery
We are delighted to enter this next phase of our evolution with strong partners like Western. This partnership will provide GlassMasters with additional capital, contacts, and other resources that will enable us to expand our business in Alberta and into new markets in Western Canada. Our goal is to provide our customers with the most convenient, professional auto glass replacement service possible. Western shares the same values of service and quality of workmanship that allowed us to make GlassMasters what it is today. They have the experience and the leadership needed to grow our brand. As new partners with strong Alberta roots and a long-term view of ownership, our employees will be able to further their careers and be part of a rapidly growing, successful, national auto glass company.
Past President, GlassMasters Autoglass
My family and I are very happy to have found a partner that is focused on investing in Western Canadian business success stories like ours. We are very proud of what we have built, and are determined to set the stage for significant growth in the future. The reputation and business track record of Western’s founders was a big factor in our decision to establish this partnership.
George McBride – Founder, Ocean Sales
Golden Health Care is addressing the needs of our aging population as the largest private provider of personal care homes in Saskatchewan. The significant growth of our aging population represents an increase in demand for aging-in place healthcare and a need for more capacity. We are excited to partner with Western to develop a planning framework for growth that focuses on these emerging opportunities. Western’s successful track record and expertise amongst its Board is exceptional and supports the vision of Golden Health Care for future expansion.
Heather Haupstein – CEO, Golden Health Care